Treating Chronic Pain with Prescription Management
Why all the Hype?
Pain management medication, primarily opioid medications, is highly controversial and some of the negative press is deserved. Opioid abuse (and death) is a serious and complex problem. While statistics regarding medication abuse are easily found, there are also stories involving the millions of people whose lives have been positively impacted by the correct and appropriate use of pain medication. When medication is properly managed, daily function can be increased with minimal risk of adverse events. We would prefer that patients not remain on these medications long-term; however, there are some cases in which it is necessary.
We advocate that pain medication has its place in pain management. Patients in monitored programs are able to significantly reduce their suffering, improve their function and lead more productive lives. They are able to get back to the things they enjoy most in life and not live a life crippled by their pain.
The key is to follow an evidence-based medical process and safely prescribe medications through a compliance checklist to address the complexities of pain management. Realief Medical Pain Clinic has established a strict assessment for candidacy and a treatment protocol to make therapy as safe and effective as possible.
Realief Medical Pain Clinic Protocol
- Comprehensive review of all medical records and documentation of the patient’s condition as it applies to opioid management
- Assessment of a complete list of medications which is cross referenced with medical records to ensure a patient has received a beneficial response to the narcotic medications
- Document social history including drug abuse if applicable
- Record specific treatment goals with regular progress notes taken
- Intake of initial and on-going Pain Scale Assessment
- Provide a detailed explanation and documentation of narcotic risks and benefits to the patient
- Offer referrals and additional treatments offered (e.g. alternative therapies, rehabilitation, psychotherapy, etc.)
- Conduct regular and routine physical examinations
- Obtain signature of opioid agreements to facilitate compliance and safety
- Perform regular and impromptu urine drug screening to ensure compliance with treatment protocols
Is Our Prescription Management Program Right for you?
Realief Medical Pain Clinic has created simple new patient checklist to determine candidacy.
- Be able to provide 6 months of medical records pertaining to the condition you’d like to seen for
- Agree to transfer 100% of my care for my pain to Realief Medical Pain Clinic
- Have documented attempts to resolve pain via alternative forms of therapy that may or may not include physical therapy, injections, and/or surgeries with limited or no success
- Need to adhere to the terms of our prescription agreement